Tottenham Hale Station Upgrade
Capita Property & Infrastructure (Capita)
HOCHTIEF is upgrading Tottenham Hale Station, to increase capacity, provide step-free access and create a modern station that will fit with the wider regeneration of the area.
- Ticket hall expansion
- Reconfiguring London Underground staff accommodation
- Installing new vent shafts for the station
- Constructing foundations and walls for future oversite development
- Building station front retail premises
- Filling in a redundant pedestrian subway
- Constructing a new station façade including feature glazing
- Installing M&E, comms and services
- Remodelling the taxi rank
Coordinating new construction with the existing station while minimising disruption to passengers was a major challenge. To ensure seamless integration of the upgrade works, we created a detailed 3D model of the station and a video to show the construction sequence. This helped us to identify risks and provide programme certainty. Our video also included passenger movements to ensure that we provided safe routes for passengers throughout delivery, a key client requirement.
As it was imperative that the station remained 100% open during the works, we removed the existing station canopy and created a new ventilation shaft for the Victoria Line platforms while maintaining access to London Underground services.
We work behind hoardings to keep the worksite and public walkways segregated and maintain station operations, while all project staff use public transport or cycle to the site to reduce our impact on local traffic.
We won a Transport for London Beacon Award for outstanding health and safety performance. The station is due to be handed back in Autumn 2021.